GPU pytorch compile options for older card - i.e. GT710

Hello,

I was curious if anyone has managed to compile pytorch to get Deepstack working with older cards where Compute Compatability is <= 3.5?

I have successfully compiled pytorch as per: GitHub - pytorch/pytorch: Tensors and Dynamic neural networks in Python with strong GPU acceleration
and copied the “torch” directory under Deepstack/windows_packages but get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\DeepStack\intelligencelayer\shared\detection.py", line 21, in <module>
    import torch
  File "C://DeepStack\windows_packages\torch\__init__.py", line 135, in <module>
    raise err
OSError: [WinError 126] The specified module could not be found. Error loading "C://DeepStack\windows_packages\torch\lib\backend_with_compiler.dll" or one of its dependencies.

Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks again!!

2 Likes

Just got this working with the Deepstack-GPU-2022.01.1 installer!
So much faster on my older machine.

The problem above was because not all of the libs were copied over from my compile directory.
So I just needed to copy the contents of the folder: pytorch-1.10.1\pytorch\build\lib
into the C://DeepStack\windows_packages\torch\lib
and the error message went away, but then I had to do the same with torchvision.

This is with
Driver Version: 472.98
CUDA Version: 11.4
CUDNN: 8.2.4 (cudnn-11.4-windows-x64-v8.2.4.15.zip)

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this @loopy12 . We will review the Windows GPU build again to figure out what could be wrong that caused the PyTorch build to be missing.

1 Like

With “older” (aka MUCH cheaper) cards such as the GT710 being the go-to for tinkerers and testers, could I ask the inclusion of these compiled kernel images with Deepstack’s GPU version?

1 Like

@OlafenwaMoses To clarify, the installer works fine, but does not include support for the older cards due to pytorch dropping support for Compute<=3.5 in their builds by default but can be included by compiling. So I compiled pytorch with the support and got it working by copying the compiled libs over the Deepstack-GPU installer and it worked.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @loopy12 . To address issues with running DeepStack on different generations of GPUs, we are working on doing the following in future releases

• the default :gpu tag will support latest GPUs and CUDA version
  • there will be other GPU tags for older CUDA versions

cc: @john

1 Like

Great! I can confirm that Deepstack works well on the GT710 and is about ~3-4x superior in performance over my running the CPU version.

1 Like