Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute Stick support

The Raspberry Pi version works with the NCS. See full details and tutorial via the link below.

Thnx I know, my question is if it would work also on a NUC

Hello @deraaij DeepStack docker version should work out of the box on the NUC. Since the architecture and OS support is exactly same as standard PCs. The NUC isn’t really different from any other system, it is just in compact form. While untested, the docker version of deepstack should be able to run on it.

Thnx, just be sure with support for the Intel NCS2?

Hi, the docker version does not support the NCS, only the raspberry pi version is built with NCS support. Nvidia GPUs on linux is the only supported acceleration on for the docker version.

Hi
Installed and registered successfully on a Pi4, but requests hang indefinitely. Is Pi4 not currently supported?
Cheers

Hello, DeepStack is tested on both Raspbian Strech and Buster. While all tests were done on a PI3, since PI4 is running on rasbian buster, it should work on it. Have you tried restarting the PI and see the response?

OK I had been using a slightly non-standard disk image. Switched to Buster desktop and everything running fine on pi4, with inferences taking around 2 seconds for the vision model and NCS1. Thanks!

1 Like

Btw I oreded a NCS2 (i.e. second gen stick), based on benchmarking we expect inferences to run in about half the time of NCS1, has anyone confirmed this?

1 Like

Also a request, I want to run deepstack in daemon mode on RPI, can you add ability to pass -d to the service call? e.g. sudo deepstack start "VISION-DETECTION=True" -d

However I think you have plans to standardise this across all platforms in which case dont worry

1 Like

@robmarkcole We plan to standardize the experience. DeepStack is untested with the NCS1, i am glad you did run it successfully with it. The NCS2 should provide better performance.

1 Like

Hi @john
I have a practical problem with using deepstack on the pi. Owing to the shape of the movidius stick it is necessary to use a USB hub to be able to connect both the stick and usb keyboard/mouse to the pi. However when using the USB hub the stick is not detected by deepstack and requests timeout. Is it possible:

1. For deepstack to present an error if the stick is unreachable
  2. To run deepstack on pi over SSH (would require nohup or similar, I believe the implementation is already using nohup?)

Thanks

Yes, deepstack can detect if no stick is present. I admit, this should have been reported in the current version, we shall add it in the upcoming beta. If running over SSH, simply run with sudo nohup deepstack start

1 Like

Will the process not terminate when the SSH session is closed? I guess it is running as a serivce

No, it won’t terminate until the PI is shutdown or the process is killed deliberately.

OK great! I saw the process was already using nohup, and didn’t realise you can wrap nohup around another nohup :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol. Checking through the starting script again, i see there is need for a daemon mode to be clearly added as not all the child processes are using nohup at present.

1 Like

Tried install on pi 3b+ with raspbian buster and ncs2, script fails @ scipy install (both with python 3.5 and 3.7). Installed scipy via apt (python3-scipy) and completed the install process (excluding scipy). Application runs with sudo deepstack start "VISION-DETECTION=True", activation ok, but requests runs forever without response. On server I can see the “GET request” of activation (or if I try /v1/vision/detection url in chrome) but not the “POST request”. For the test i’m using the same script that I’m using for another deepstack server:

import requests
image_data = open("test-image5.jpg","rb").read()
response = requests.post("http://localhost/v1/vision/detection",files={"image":image_data}).json()
print(response)

In nohup.out I have a lot of:
Usage:
kill [options] […]

Options:
 <pid> [...]            send signal to every <pid> listed
 -<signal>, -s, --signal <signal>
                        specify the <signal> to be sent
 -l, --list=[<signal>]  list all signal names, or convert one to a name
 -L, --table            list all signal names in a nice table

-h, --help     display this help and exit
 -V, --version  output version information and exit

For more details see kill(1).

if I make a wrong request (ex. “text” instead of “image” in the post request)
I get: {'success': False, 'error': 'No valid image file found'}
So the post request happens

maybe there’s some problem with the image upload
what can I try to fix it?

@robmarkcole Hi Rob
Following you here and on hass forums.
Regarding the ncs stick size: the case is in reality a thermal cooler.
Mettalic grey at both edges are thin foils glued.
Whith a tiny screwdriver you can detach them.
Unddrneath you will find a couple of screws per side.
Once you unscrew you can pull out the real hardware which is way tinier .
Beware: you will remove thermal paste in the process: you will have to use the stick in a cool environment after this. And your warranty will be void.
Cheers and tx for your great stuff

I’ve also tried on stretch (Python 3.5.4) - many package are missing in an headless setup, installed via:
sudo apt install libopenjp2-7 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-dev libtiff5
The sh installer fails on scipy (building wheel for scipy), but the same package can be installed via apt
‘sudo apt install python3-scipy’
But, the main problem is on the setupvars.sh: had to use the openvino official:
source /opt/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh instead of the deepstack one. (openvino guide at https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_raspbian.html )

Now the setup is working on Pi3 with Stretch and NCS2, average prediction in 1,5 - 2 seconds