Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute Stick support

Yes, deepstack can detect if no stick is present. I admit, this should have been reported in the current version, we shall add it in the upcoming beta. If running over SSH, simply run with sudo nohup deepstack start

1 Like

Will the process not terminate when the SSH session is closed? I guess it is running as a serivce

No, it won’t terminate until the PI is shutdown or the process is killed deliberately.

OK great! I saw the process was already using nohup, and didn’t realise you can wrap nohup around another nohup :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol. Checking through the starting script again, i see there is need for a daemon mode to be clearly added as not all the child processes are using nohup at present.

1 Like

Tried install on pi 3b+ with raspbian buster and ncs2, script fails @ scipy install (both with python 3.5 and 3.7). Installed scipy via apt (python3-scipy) and completed the install process (excluding scipy). Application runs with sudo deepstack start "VISION-DETECTION=True", activation ok, but requests runs forever without response. On server I can see the “GET request” of activation (or if I try /v1/vision/detection url in chrome) but not the “POST request”. For the test i’m using the same script that I’m using for another deepstack server:

import requests
image_data = open("test-image5.jpg","rb").read()
response = requests.post("http://localhost/v1/vision/detection",files={"image":image_data}).json()
print(response)

In nohup.out I have a lot of:
Usage:
kill [options] […]

Options:
 <pid> [...]            send signal to every <pid> listed
 -<signal>, -s, --signal <signal>
                        specify the <signal> to be sent
 -l, --list=[<signal>]  list all signal names, or convert one to a name
 -L, --table            list all signal names in a nice table

-h, --help     display this help and exit
 -V, --version  output version information and exit

For more details see kill(1).

if I make a wrong request (ex. “text” instead of “image” in the post request)
I get: {'success': False, 'error': 'No valid image file found'}
So the post request happens

maybe there’s some problem with the image upload
what can I try to fix it?

@robmarkcole Hi Rob
Following you here and on hass forums.
Regarding the ncs stick size: the case is in reality a thermal cooler.
Mettalic grey at both edges are thin foils glued.
Whith a tiny screwdriver you can detach them.
Unddrneath you will find a couple of screws per side.
Once you unscrew you can pull out the real hardware which is way tinier .
Beware: you will remove thermal paste in the process: you will have to use the stick in a cool environment after this. And your warranty will be void.
Cheers and tx for your great stuff

I’ve also tried on stretch (Python 3.5.4) - many package are missing in an headless setup, installed via:
sudo apt install libopenjp2-7 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-dev libtiff5
The sh installer fails on scipy (building wheel for scipy), but the same package can be installed via apt
‘sudo apt install python3-scipy’
But, the main problem is on the setupvars.sh: had to use the openvino official:
source /opt/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh instead of the deepstack one. (openvino guide at https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_raspbian.html )

Now the setup is working on Pi3 with Stretch and NCS2, average prediction in 1,5 - 2 seconds